Friday, May 16, 2008

rogan at target




i had the pleasure of being invited to the rogan @ target event last night held at barney's in beverly hills. it was my favorite kind of event, booze and shopping.

i was there representing the 'zine, but i was more or less there to not think about how much people cross boundaries. i found out my boss wrote FL. i dont know why my boss is all up in my business! what possessed him to have the gumption to do that -- it made me bawl at my desk questioning whether to take my tear soaked face to the event. is nothing sacred? even the tattered dress that is my former relationship? apparently not in LA. obvi....the worst part is later that night i was cc'd on an unusual email from him to my partner. then i woke up this morning w/ a stomachache and dry mouth from anxiety- the fact that I had not felt like this in almost 2 months is telling...

RE: last night, ive found i have the most courage and conviction when i am angered and im possessed to make change (and i've had a lil' of the ol' bubbly) so i went to the event armed w/ some cash and a plan: to talk about mehab. i ran into gabby union and sanaa lathan and they remembered me from my wma days toiling under his darkness

(sidebar: still haven't decided whom i would want to play his darkness in my movie...

either



OR


)


anyway...i talked up the site...told them how the plan is for it to be like oprah.com but lighter, funnier, smarter and younger. that's the hook. it will have the functionality to do everything that site does but on a smaller more focused scale. it will celebrate beauty in all shapes and forms and champion women who are kicking ass. it will be a digi-ass kicking for women who are just not living their best life and they need to know - THIS IS IT. there is no see you next time when it comes to living. so lets just live.

sanaa and gabby were DOWN. that was music to my ears. they were SO down in fact they gave me their emails and told me to just say the word and its on. see. this is how it should be done. be passionate, talk about your projects, be sincere. i knew to whom i was bantering with, these women are my idols - i ADORE them and have done so for nearly 10 years. i let them know, you are out there representing black women and i ADMIRE you for that day in, day out. they were funny and commented about my desire for a weave, "girl just get one...get on with it" how im desperately trying to flee the gutters of hollywood and build something i can be proud of. they admitted how they are trying to hold the black community together even as they try to focus on their careers. sanaa admitted she was doing the new earth on oprah.com but then i told her "what if there was a new earth that spoke to women who were going to school, high or college and then trying to navigate transitioning from their 20's to 30's?" her eyes widened. she loved it. that made me feel amazing. i wake up everyday knowing im closer to the apex of success when i talk about it to people and how i feel like THIS is the thing i need to be doing. i'm being driven to do it. they informed me that i need to make a conscious effort to continue to move forward w/ my life and told me "girl, don't worry - you will be ok - you're beautiful, get out of this phase which wont last much longer and then proceed to just work it." we exchanged emails, they introduced me to others and talked up mehab on MY behalf.

seriously.

mena suvari, kidada jones, all were totally fascinated and excited to hear about my pet project that im turning into an empire. ran into SO many people as per usual, the DJ was great and i barely had any appetizers i was so wound up from excitement. oh and the clothes. WELL of course the clothes were fab.

rogan's

his line is clean and funky but these were basics. i grabbed up 4 shirts that totally screamed Weird Science 1985. the 80's are back...sigh...AGAIN. but its like more late 85-87. a good fashion period for me. oh and he said "i love what you are doing, we'll be in touch..." and handed me his card. so there you go. SUCCESS.

this is good.

No comments: